Major Jeffrey Calero's 1970 GTO is being rebuilt in honor of the fallen soldier from New York. Paul DiMauro, who specializes in classic car and hot rod restoration, is donating the labor for the project, while the Long Island GTO Club is collecting donations to cover the cost of the parts. DiMauro has also sought the help of other sponsors. Here's your chance to help out with the rebuild of Major Jeff's GTO as well as learn about Jeff's life and see the progress of the car.
- September 17, 2013 – Click HERE to see the complete list of sponsors and contributors.
- September 15, 2013 – We unveiled the GTO to Major Calero’s family. It was a spectacular day. Check out a video of the unveiling HERE
You can also view pictures of the unveiling HERE
Thank you to everyone that helped make this project possible.
- August 13, 2013 – Extremely generous new contributors for Major Jeffrey Calero’s GTO! Because of their help, we are one step closer to finishing Major Calero’s dream. Please join us in thanking them! Click on their logo below to view their sites.
- April 2013 – See the article in the May issue of Hemmings about the
rebuild of Major Jeffrey Calero’s GTO
- March 6, 2013 – Major Calero’s GTO being prepped for paint
- September 2012 - Updated Photos of work done on Major Jeff's GTO
- August 10, 2010 - Updated Photos of work done on Major Jeff's GTO
- June 15, 2010 - More Updated Photos of work done on Major Jeff's GTO
- March 1, 2010 - New Photos of work done on Major Jeff's GTO - Lots of Progress and Special announcements coming soon!
- Jan 2, 2010 - Jeff's Car is awaiting for a 1 piece trunk floor, wheelhouses, quarters,& trunk drop offs....frame will be removed from body of parts car next week and broken down and sent to RENU POWDERCOATING. Engine is set up for rebuilding with Bob from ACE CRANKSHAFT.
- February 13, 2009 - Jeff's Car needs a frame as the one on the car is twisted. Paul located another frame but it was from a hardtop. Anyone able to locate a 1970 GTO Convertible frame please call Paul at (631)-665-RODS.
- January 22, 2009 - Car is on the rotisserie ready to be blasted.
- January 3, 2009 - Car is being stripped down with motor removed today.
- December 18, 2008 - Read the full press release concerning the Major Jeff Build.
Major Jeff Calero's 1970 GTO Convertible|
||Pauls Rods & Restos are rebuilding the Pontiac of a local soldier killed in Afghanistan. Major Jeffrey Calero of Queens died October 29, 2007 when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle while he was on patrol in the city of Kajaki in southern Afghanistan. He was 34.
Calero, a classic car enthusiast, had been working on restoring a 1970 Pontiac GTO convertible that he had purchased 10 years earlier. Paul DiMauro, owner of Paul’s Rods and Restos in Deer Park, said he hopes to present the finished car to Calero’s family at the GTO Club’s annual Memorial Day Car-B-Que Car Show on May 17 at Crab Meadow Beach in New York.